Evening Mixed Masters Team
This team is a diverse group of men and women of all ages (18+) and backgrounds. The program was established for experienced rowers who want to row three times a week. The participants have a wide range of rowing experience, from previously at TRRA or other club programs, to prior participation on high school or college crews.
Our goals vary as well, from a desire to improve:
1) People on the team will expand their rowing knowledge by having opportunities to learn to row in different styles (sculling/sweep), different seats within boats (stroke, bow, powerhouse), and different size boats (1x, 2x, 4x, 2-, 4+, 8+) with the opportunity to race.
2) Workouts are designed to improve fitness, and coaches are open to discuss individualized training if there is a specific area someone wants to work on, or if they have had surgeries/injuries that effect their ability to follow the workout schedule that is sent out.
3) Evening Mixed Masters (EMM) is a team that races at multiple events each season. Team members are encouraged to attend at least one race per season (Summer & Fall) if possible. Since team member’s abilities and competitive levels vary, there will be some team-oriented line-ups and some more competitive line-ups. Crews racing at events are designed to be as competitive as possible, while including all team members who want to race.
4) The team has always been very involved in the TRRA community. Our team will continue to log vast volunteer hours, organize activities/events to interact with other members & masters teams to contribute to the overall community of the club.
Our program will strive to meet all of those goals in an atmosphere that is both structured and congenial.
Our Practice Schedule
The team will practice year-round, while having water practices from April-November and moving inside for the winter. While on the water, the practice schedule is Monday and Wednesday, 6:15-8:00 pm and Saturday, 8:45-11:00 am. Winter practice times will change slightly to Monday, 6:00-7:30 pm, Wednesday, 7:00-8:30 pm and Saturday, 9:30-11:00 am.
All water practices are at the Washington’s Landing, Lambert Boathouse.
For more information and to join us for a practice, please email the team’s coach, Nate Dolphin or check out our team site.
Introducing Our Coaches
Nathan Dolphin, Head Coach, graduated from University of Rhode Island in 2010. While at college, he coxed for the Men’s Crew. He has coxed in major races such as the Head of the Charles Regatta and also coxed for multiple programs at the Riverside Boat Club in Boston. After graduating he moved to California where he was involved as a coach and coxswain for a local rowing program at North Bay Rowing Club. Before moving to Pittsburgh, Nate was the Assistant Boys Coach for the Brookline High Crew in Rhode Island. As well as Coaching EMM, Nate is a Boathouse Keeper.
Emilie Gross, Assistant Coach, graduated from Michigan State University in 2011. While at college, she coxed for the Varsity Women’s Team, where they won the Big Ten Championships two years in a row. Prior to coming to TRRA, Emilie helped Coach Master Novices at Des Moines Rowing Club and Master Novices for Chicago Rowing Union. She comes to Pittsburgh via Chicago as a Packaging Engineer. In addition to Coaching EMM, Emilie coaches the TRJR Novices and is a Boathouse Keeper.
About Joining the Team
Members of the Masters rowing teams are required to:
1. Have some rowing/racing experience
2. Be a dues-paying member of TRRA, $510
3. Pay the team membership to TRRA, $420
4. Love to Row